Pages

Sunday 8 November 2009

Vietnamese A-Hole Found/發現越南混蛋

Hue, Vietnam, November 7, 2009
2009年11月7日越南順化

Taking a walk in the old city quarter, heading to a nice restaurant recommended by tour guide books. A man on a motor bike, with a woman on his back seat, approached me. He said the restaurant I am heading to is for tourists. He would recommended a cheap and good place where locals go. He claimed to be an English/Mathematics teacher. The woman was his wife.

在舊城區漫步,走向一家旅遊指南推薦的好餐廳。一個家伙騎摩托車,載著個女人向我靠過來。他說我要去的那家餐廳是宰遊客的。他要推薦一家本地人去的餐廳,俗擱大碗。他說他是老師,教英文跟數學。那女人是他老婆。

As most of Vietnamese I had met so far were very nice. I decided to take a calculated risk, for the reward could be a priceless friendship.

I lost.

因為我碰到的越南人大都又好又熱情,所以我決定冒這個險。因為我不想錯過一個交朋友的機會。

我槓龜了。

The A-hole did take me to a local restaurant. The food was typical and ordinary, but not the bill. When I was about the pay the bill, I saw the owner was having a difficult time writing it up. I guess the A-hole instructed the owner in Vietnamese the total amount she should charged me. The meal for two was about US$10. I would feel cheap only if it was my frist meal after I first arrived in Hue from North America.

那混蛋真帶我去一家小店。那裡的菜很平常,但是賬單不平凡。當我要結帳時,我發現老板絞盡腦汁寫賬單。我猜那混蛋用越南話告訴老板要宰我多少。總共大約美金十元。那種價錢,除非是我剛從北美過來,而那是我在越南的第一餐我才有可能覺得便宜。

He had the guts to ask me if the meal was cheap. I said it was very expensive, espeically the beer. He asked me how much I paid for beer norally. I said VND 8,000 for the kind of beer we had. In that restaurant, I just paid VND 90,000 for 7 bottles. Strange pricing, eh? He said the beer we had was very good, and it came with two grades. We had the better one. Better my rear ends. I did not taste the difference. Later, I asked friends working in a restaurant. They said there is only one kind of beer from that brewry.

他居然還有臉問我便不便宜。我說貴得要命,尤其是啤酒。七瓶啤酒九萬盾,這種價錢還真兩隻老虎。他問我通常付多少錢?我說那種啤酒,八千盾一瓶。他說那種啤酒有兩個等級。我們喝的是好東西。我可喝不出有啥差別。我後來問過在餐廳打工的朋友,她們說,那家酒廠就出一種酒。

VND 60,000


A-Hole/八個野鹿


During the meal, he asked me if I were traveling alone, and invited me to a ride on his bike to country side the next day. I was not stupid enough to tell him I was alone. I told him I was traveling with some Canadians. We just had different plans that day.

吃飯時,他問我是否獨行。我還沒笨到那種程度。我說我跟一堆加拿大人同行。只是那天我們的行程不同。

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts (All Time)/滿堂紅

Popular Posts (7 Days)/七日紅