Pages

Friday 18 March 2011

Grilled Birds of Fenggang/楓港烤小鳥

Grilled Birds of Fenggang/楓港烤小鳥


The town of Fenggang used to be notorious for grilling passing by wings of migration. Nowadays, they grill quails instead. My previous visit was right after my return from more than a decade of absence. I thought the vendor's accent was strange. Now I know she was most likely to be an immigrant.

I picked this vendor this time. First of all, the stand claimed to be fifty years old. Sencondly, the display was covered by a glass window. The operator was an elder lady. NT$80 a stick, with two birds. I inquired the price once more as I shopped for Thousand-Year-Old eggs later. Both places asked for the same price.

As we chewed away the birds, a car slowly pulled by. As the old lady approached to greet the potential customer, the car sped up and drove to the next stand. The old lady said "The operator of that stand has only one arm. I do not know how she grill her birds."

I wonder which is their real merchandise: good deeds or great taste?

楓港曾因烤伯勞而惡名昭彰。現在都改烤鵪鶉了。上回路過,是少小離家老大回的遊子。當時只覺賣我靠小鳥的那位太太的口音很奇怪。現在想起來,該是個新住民。

這回路過,選這一家嚐。一是因為號稱是老店,二來是展示櫃有玻璃窗,想來能少些煙塵。顧攤的是位老太太。價錢是一串兩隻,臺幣八十。後來買鹹蛋、皮蛋時,順便再問一下,也是如此。可能是公定價。

吃到一半時,有輛車緩緩靠邊。當老太太上前迎客時,那車加速開走,到下一攤停下。老太太說:“那一攤的少了條手臂,也不知道她是怎麼烤的。”

不知那一攤賣的是功德還是美味?

推到 Twitter
推到 Plurk
推到Facebook

free counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts (All Time)/滿堂紅

Popular Posts (7 Days)/七日紅