Pages

Saturday 6 March 2010

Cell Phone War/手機大亂鬥

Cell Phone War/手機大亂鬥

Although I have been having tons of fun taking photos and videos with my Nokia 5800, I am still not happy with it. Its software is crappy, and documentation lousy. It is clear Nokia's software department is either under staffed or poorly run. I will never consider Nokia again unless they would make their software Open Source. Now it comes to it, I wonder why Nokia is not going open source. If no one is buying their cell phones, what would their software copy right be good for? What is wrong with a bounch of hackers working for them for free? If Nokia do not go open source soon, sooner or later, they are going to be exterminated by Android the way Solaris by Linux. It was too late for SUN to open Solaris. Hackers of the world had already embrassed Linux when SUN came to their senses. History is awaiting to be repeated.

雖然我很喜歡5800的照相、錄影功能,但是我還是對它很不滿。它的軟體跟文檔實在太爛。挪雞鴨的軟體部門要不是人手不足,就是主帥無能,累死三軍。除非有朝一日挪雞鴨想開(源)了,否則我決不會再考慮購買挪雞鴨的雞。話說回來,我還真不懂挪雞鴨幹麼那麼想不開。要沒人買他們的手機,死抱著軟體版權有個鳥用?想開了,有堆吃飽撐著沒事幹的駭客免費幫他們做白工,不美嗎?再這樣想不開,遲早會像Solaris被Linux幹掉那樣被安桌椅幹掉。當年等Solaris想開後,駭客們早已投向Linux陣營。看今天SUN的慘狀,挪雞鴨的皮再不繃緊一點,那我們就等著看好戲吧!

One of my main excuses to give my Nokia 5500 an early retirement is savings by using Skype via Wi-Fi. This does not really work for Nokia 5800. When Fring does not crash, the quality of the sound was too poor to carry a conversation. My friends using iPhone are happy with their Skype.

我讓我的Nokia 5500提早退休的藉口之一是可以拿5800來打網路電話。但是5800上的Fring常當。就算不當,通話品質也爛到不行。我那些用挨諷的朋友們可沒這種問題。

I am not going to touch iPhone either. Apple has placed too much restriction onto their own hardware and software. Many iPhone users install this software called "Jail Break" to unleash some of the potentials of iPhone. Why the heck am I paying good money to jail myself at the first place? Buying iPhone gives me this feeling of self-castration. In addition, consider its price and ability to take photos and videos, it is just not worthy. Do not be fooled by iPhone's ability to take photos. Its resolution might appear to be decent on FaceBook, but certainly not good enough for photo printing and enlargement. I would recommend iPhone only for business people who do not care about the RIO on cell phones.

我也不會考慮挨諷。蘋果對自家生產的軟、硬體賦予太多的限制。很多買挨諷的人類都要裝越獄軟體。我沒事幹麼那麼犯賤,自己掏銀子去蹲監牢啊?買挨諷,會讓我有自宮的感覺。此外,它的照相、錄影功能都不及格。別給在非死不可上的照片騙了。放大、洗出來後,您就知道挨諷的照相功能有多爛了。除非您是個不計成本,追求穩定的人類,否則我不推薦挨諷。

I had good experience with Palm, until I went to China. Palm bought their Chinese system from a 3rd party. You have the choice of using different popular Chinese encoding methods, except for Unicode. If you use traditional Chinese codes, then the phone screws up the SMS sent in simplified Chinese charasters; if you use simplified Chiense characters, it mess up the traditional characters elsewhere, such as in the address book. In addition, Palm has been bought by M$. I refuse to pay M$ whenever possible.

我曾經死忠過胖(Palm),直到我去中國,必須使用中文。胖的中文支持是向第三方熬成婆的媳婦兒購買的。您可以選擇系統編碼跟顯示字體。系統編碼選用簡體時,也可以選擇顯示正體。但就是不支持統一碼。您要選用正體中文作為系統編碼,收到簡體簡訊就會成亂碼;您要選簡體,很多正體字就找不到。而且胖已經被微軟併購,前途無亮。

I am a Linux and Mac user. I do not use Windows. Yet each time I purchase a PC, some of my hard earned money goes to M$. Unless M$ would refund all the money they robbed from me, I am not going to pay them any more money if I can help it.

我是Linux跟Mac的愛用者。我不用暈倒。但每次我買劈西,都要交微軟稅:售價裡已經包含暈倒了。除非微軟歸還所有它搶走的銀子,否則我會盡量不要資匪。

I took a lesson on Android programming a couple of months ago. There had been way too many updates and revision of Android over the past year. It does not appear to me that it is ready. The expectation of 2.0 is great. Let's wait and see.

幾個月前,我去上了堂安桌椅的課。過去一年來安桌椅改版頻繁。可見尚未成熟。2.0版的呼聲很高。期待吧!

Based on my good experience with Linux and freeware, I am going to wait for a matured version of Android before my next purchase of a new cell phone.

根據我對Linux的滿意度,以及自由軟體模式的信心,我打算等安桌椅成熟。在那之前,我會撐住,不換新手機。

free counters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts (All Time)/滿堂紅

Popular Posts (7 Days)/七日紅